3.21.2011

BAMF Of The Week: Benicio Del Toro

BENICIO DEL TORO
"I'm not Jack Nicholson. I'm not Brando. But I do mumble."

Remember BAMF Of The Week? Yeah, me neither. Kevin Smith is apparently the BAMF of the month. Which, frankly, works for me. He pwns. In any case, I decided to finally give someone else a chance to shine. Someone's who's been a little down in the gutter recently thanks to some crap career choices. But I'm here to give the man a little history and remind him we love him anyway. It's the funny looking mug. The gruff grumble. The way he just always seems whacked out, no matter what he's doing. Naturally, he does best as the strung out fuck up of a character who we admire for the sole reason that he's somehow still alive. Even when he does play a somewhat "normal" and level headed character, you get the feeling there's something bubbling under the surface, something devious deep inside him itching to get out. I can't really figure out what it is, it's just something about his general person that makes him the perfect candidate for those characters with sharp edges. This is something of a self-serving post of mine, because the thing is, as much as I love Toro, I also haven't seen enough of his movies. So any suggestions thrown my way will be rewarded with a ride out of Bat Country.

Best Films: Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (1998), Snatch (2000), 21 Grams (2003), Sin City (2005)

Best Moment: Getting electrocuted in the bathtub by an orange.

Worst Moment: The Wolfman (2010). Why?

Best Quotes: "As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit." (Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas)

"I am not in Rome. I am in a rush." (Snatch)

"You want to see it? You wanna see what I got?"
I've seen all shapes, all sizes. 
[Pulls gun] "You seen this one?" (Sin City)

EDIT: I followed everyone's advice and watched 21 Grams. Best advice ever! That bitch is up on the list. Not only was it an excellent movie period, but Benicio Del Toro blew that shit out of the park.

12 comments:

  1. I love Benicio, too, there's just something about him. He's great in Traffic, The Usual Suspects and 21 Grams. I loved all the films you mentioned, too. I think I'm the only one who enjoyed The Wolfman. Was it Del Toro's greatest performance? Hell no, he's so much better than that. But for me this film was exactly in the spirit of the original Lon Chaney, Jr. movie that I have always loved. And I love werewolves, I think I own and have seen just about every werewolf movie that's ever been made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You comment practically all my posts, have I mentioned that you're awesome and make me a happy blogger? 21 Grams and Usual Suspects have definitely been on my to-see list for a while, I've got to get to them. I saw Traffic, but now I can't remember for the life of me who Benicio's character was! A sign that it probably deserves a rewatch.

    You're much better versed in the werewolf genre than I am, so I'll take your word for that. The thing is, I thought the movie was actually really entertaining. But I was so damn built up for it, that I was let down hard when Benicio and Hopkins gave poor performances. With that said. I would've watched it 100 times if the movie had been solely about Hugo Weaving's character, because not only was the detective a BAMF, but Weaving's acting completely sucked me in to the world that the movie was trying to create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks! I feel like I've found a kindred ass-kicking spirit here. Benicio was the Mexican cop in Traffic. I'm going to do rewatch myself because now you've got me yearning for some Del Toro with this post.

    Benicio and Anthony both let me down with their performances, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, too. You are so right about Hugo. I want them to do a sequel with his character. That would rock. Werewolf inspector of Scotland Yard, hell yeah. Hmmm,there's an idea for a book...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! And now it's all coming back to me! Definitely have to put that one up on my rewatch list.

    Dude. Yes. They don't even have to do anything creative with it, just title it "Werewolf Inspector of Scotland Yard" and everyone would go see it. Or I would, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best thing in TRAFFIC and 21 GRAMS. The man is a BAMF. Well chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I really do have to see 21 Grams. Everyone has told me I must see it, so I must.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to all that's been said so far, though a slight slap on the wrist for not including The Usual Suspects on his list of best flicks. I know you can't list 'em all, but c'mon, I flip you for real.

    I always love seeing him in Swimming with Sharks, mostly because I saw it after The Usual Suspects, back when nobody really knew who he was, and I was shocked to hear him talk normal. Had no idea what his real voice sounded like.

    Outside of those weird choices (remember Excess Baggage with Silverstone? Me neither.), the guy kicks major ass. I could stand a Traffic rewatch myself...he was excellent in that, maybe even the best part, which is saying something.

    Love love love the Fear & Loathing quote you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone suggested 21 Grams?(just kidding it is a great one though.) I also thought "The Hunted was pretty good and enjoyed the wolfman as well. He's a fine actor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just realized I'm way behind in my comments!

    @ Fletch--I probably deserve that! That's officially going to be at the top of my list of things to see.

    Swimming With Sharks is yet another I haven't hear of. Toro's voice is one of the best things about him! And Fear & Loathing is just BAMF, end of story. Thanks for the comment!

    @ Brent--HAHA! Touche! I'll definitely have to check out The Hunted. He really is a fun one, no one can deny that much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Hunted is awesome. Surprised no one mentioned The Way Of The Gun! He is total badass in that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way Of The Gun! I love Juliette Lewis and the repressed musical theatre lover in me loves Taye Diggs, so I think I have to check that one out pronto. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Problem. Looking forward to your opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, Chuck Norris sneezes and creates a new solar system.